Newsletter Signup

Subscribe

* indicates required

Favourite Books - A Monster Calls

This book review was meant to be written around the same time as Within These Lines. Yes, that happened (not). But it is here finally.

Photo by Simon Berger on Unsplash


A Monster Calls is by Patrick Ness and it is a standalone. A movie has been made of it. 

And this is the blurb:

The monster showed up after midnight. As they do. But it isn't the monster Conor's been expecting. He's been the one from his nightmare, the nightmare he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming...

This monster, though, is something different. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.

It wants the truth.

Rating: ðŸ’œðŸ’œðŸ’œðŸ’œðŸ’œ (5/5) 

Content: There was nothing major to mention here.

Genre: Contemporary fantasy

I want to mention that, while the content were only very mild references, they are, in my opinion, what made this book a YA and not a children's book. Otherwise, I would think this book was for children (10+). Without them I would safely say that a person under thirteen could read it, even though the theme and the topic are darker than what those ages would normally read. Really, it depends on the maturity and knowledge of the person.

Why I love this book: There many reasons, but the main one above all is the theme and the message. As you'll quickly discover, it is about death. Particularly dealing with its impact (the change it causes) and the feeling of loss it leaves. This topic is a bit tricky to show in a story, but this book shows it so well. I just knew somehow what it was telling me, what it wanted to leave with me. They were so weaved in the story that they felt like they were part of every thread of the plot itself. I can't praise it enough. For something so hard to understand and to face, this story explains it so smoothly and in a way that is relatable.

Another reason is the monster, of course. It is nothing like you'll ever expect. It is so unique and awesome.

Also, I love Conor. He is nothing special as a character, as a person, but I cared so deeply about him. I felt like I was in his shoes. It is so personal even though it wasn't in first person. I didn't get frustrated at him, as I could have with characters like him, but instead I got frustrated with him. Frustrated at how people treated him. His mom, his dad, his grandmother, his friend, the people at his school. Every pain he went through, I felt it. And his truth will knock you off your feet with shock but with understanding. It's so relatable. Just wow. This story kept surprising me, but that was the biggest surprise of all and it didn't disappoint. If you just read for the answer, it is worth it.

The world, while the modern day settings were nothing special, when added with the fantasy elements surrounding the monster, it comes alive so vividly. Plus it has illustrations, making it even more real to the reader. I am so glad for the pictures. I am not really a person who likes pictures in their novels, but this is an exception. I know that the illustrations really added to my imagination of the world.

And the stories the monster told... I am still trying to this day trying to figure out the deeper meaning behind them. As in what they showed relating to the theme of the story. They could have no deeper meaning but I doubt that they don't. This story is too clever to just tell stories for the sake of moving the plot forward. I mean that they have meaning but that they have more of a meaning, if that makes sense (it almost doesn't to me, so if you don't get it, that's okay). Anyway, they are so amazing and unexpected. You think they head this way, but then they head in another direction completely. They are also present so well as bedtime stories. I'm pretty sure they're meant to be that way, so good work author, I feel like I'm being read to even though I am reading it. (This story will work well being read aloud.)

Overall, if you haven't read it, go read it. I can't recommend it enough. It is powerful, moving and just plain an amazing story. It will satisfy both readers and writers alike. It is that good.

Is this for you or not? Read at your risk.

Any thoughts? I'd love to read any comments from you. 

Comments

Goodreads

Miranda's bookshelf: currently-reading

Halo: The Fall of Reach
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com